What if your cervical mucus is yellow?
Many women have a yellow discharge every month before their periods. The frequency and the color of the discharge is not a problem, as long as it’s not accompanied by a four odor. This happens because the female body goes through a self-cleansing process to remove bacteria and dead cells from the vagina.
Every woman will experience different kinds of vaginal discharge. The secretion before periods is usually thinner and whiter, while it becomes thicker and yellow after periods.
If pregnant, your body will go through several changes most of which are hormonal and can affect you in different ways. One of the common changes is cervix producing a mucous-like discharge called leucorrhea. The cervix glands generally produce mucus because of an increased level of estrogen during pregnancy. This leads to a vaginal discharge of yellow mucus.
This discharge has secretions from the vagina and cervix, old cells and a normal flow of bacteria. It’s the yellow cervical mucus that the vagina secretes during pregnancy. The flow of yellow mucus fluctuates greatly during pregnancy and can occur throughout the nine months.
For the most part, this vaginal discharge results from the cervix dilating in preparation for labor. It is similar to a gelatinous glob, which you could expel slowly or all at once. You might have a bloody discharge sometimes. During early pregnancy, this mucus discharge can be bleeding that takes place once the embryo attaches to the uterine wall.
It is important to mention that a thick, yellow vaginal discharge with a foul odor during pregnancy could be a symptom of an infection or disease. This type of discharge can result from conditions such as:
- Cervical Polyps: Red and smooth finger-like limbs appearing within the passage extending from the uterus towards the cervical canal. They usually appear without symptoms.
- Bacterial Vaginosis: Also called BV and is an infection which results from imbalance organisms within the cervical canal or vagina.
- Trichomoniasis: A Sexually Transmitted Disease that can cause an abnormal yellow vaginal secretion during pregnancy.
- Candidiasis: This is a form of yeast infection which several pregnant women experiences due to hormonal changes.
- Chlamydia: One of the STD’s that can lead to a thick yellow vaginal discharge or even a green one during pregnancy.
In some instances, a yellow discharge is cause for women to be concerned during pregnancy. So, it’s best to take precautionary measures for personal hygiene to avoid infections. You should get checked immediately if you experience a thick, yellow discharge with a foul odor during pregnancy.